Studies performed on triphala suggest that it may be antioxidant, antimutagenic, antineoplastic, chemoprotective, radioprotective, and chemopreventive. Furthermore, a recent report reviews the evidence of Triphala for treating and preventing cancer.
Triphala’s historical use as a digestive cleanser has been backed up with numerous modern scientific studies.
Triphala churna (powder) is a mild laxative, which cleanses and toxifies the gastro-intestinal tract. Triphala is known as a cleaning agent, including a blood cleanser. Because of its high vitamin content, Triphala is often used as a food supplement like vitamins are in Western countries. In fact, the benefits of this herb are so well known that a well-known Indian saying goes like this: “You do not have a mother? Don’t worry, as long as you have Triphala in your life!” In recent years, a number of research studies have found new uses for this herb, including treatment for various forms of cancer. It is also found to have high antioxidant qualities, and is even useful for treatment against noise and stress induced conditions
Because of its high nutritional content, Ayurvedic doctors generally do not regard Triphala as a mere laxative. Some of the scientific research and practical experience of people who have used it down through the ages has demonstrated that Triphala is an effective blood purifier that stimulates bile secretion as it detoxifies the liver, helps digestion and assimilation, and significantly reduces serum cholesterol and lipid levels throughout the body. As a result, it is regarded as a kind of universal panacea and is the most commonly prescribed herbal formula.
Has been found to act as a complete body cleanser. Not only does Triphala help to detoxify and cleanse the colon, it also purifies the blood and removes toxins from the liver. Other cleansing benefits of Triphala include reducing some forms of cholesterol (serum cholesterol), and reduces high blood pressure.
Triphala is categorized as a purgative form of laxative. Purgative preparations are often needed by people who have certain degrees of liver and gall bladder congestion. As Triphala is known as a cleaning agent, including a blood cleanser, the herb is very beneficial for these people. The herb also has a high nutritional value, including high levels of vitamin C.
Triphala, said to contain three different ‘fruits’ is well known in ancient Indian folklore, and is widely used by natural healers experienced in Indian Ayurvedic medicine, which literally translated means ‘long life practice’. The fruits, Harade, Amla, and Behada, relate to the three sections or ‘humors’ of Indian medicine. Harade, which is bitter tasting, is best known for its laxative qualities as well as being an astringent and antispasmodic. Amla, which is high in Vitamin C (20 times more than citrus fruit) is sour tasting and is considered good for inflammation of the stomach and intestines.
Because of its high vitamin content, Triphala is often used as a food supplement like vitamins are in Western countries.
Triphala for all tridoshic diseases, constipation, diarrhea, eyes cleansing or detoxing the colon, good for Kapha conditions, gas, distantion, diabetes, parasites. some more benefits are as below,
- Feeling pure, light & revitalized
- Removing toxins, accumulations, gas & distention without irritating the colon
- Reducing Fibromyalgia pain
- Nourishing your nervous system, blood & muscle
- Improving Adrenal function
- Nourishing the bones, nervous system, & reproductive organs
- Strengthening immune system
- Eliminating excess mucous
- Astringent properties
- Reducing noise & stress induced conditions
- Laxative properties
- Potent healing properties
- Fighting Scabies
- Being a great rejuvenator & antioxidant
- Increasing digestion, assimilation & reduce fat
- Helping a variety of lung conditions, including bronchitis & asthma
- Improves digestion
- Reduces serum cholesterol
- Improves circulation (potentiates adrenergic function)
- Contains 31% linoleic acid
- Exerts a marked cardio-protective effect
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Improves liver function
- Has proven anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties
- Expectorant, hypotensive
Triphala benefits of each fruits
Amalaki or Amla (Emblica Officinalis)
- Is a fruit rich in vitamin C that builds immunity and an effective antioxidant that removes harmful toxins from the body.
- Amla helps to strengthen and nourish the lungs and the respiratory tract by removing mucus. Vitamin C in Amla helps to maintain good reproductive health in both males and females, in whom it further helps to regulate menstrual cycles.
- Amla induces iron that aids blood circulation and maintains proper functioning of the heart.
- Its detox function helps in the formation of fresh tissues leading to a glowing skin.
Vibhitaki (Terminalia Bellirica)
- Vibhitaki acts as a blood purifier and curbs haemorrhage
- It is an internal cleanser removing harmful toxins and excess fats out of the body
- Its anti-viral and anti-bacterial abilities nurtures voice quality and improves eyesight
- Hair roots are strengthened and it enriches hair colour.
Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula)
- Haritaki has five rasas, or tastes, being sweet, sour, salty, bitter, pungent, and astringent
- It stimulates the functioning of the digestive system and sensory organs
- It is an effective in combating piles, anaemia, gastro-intestinal problems and gall stones
Not recommended for acute diarrhea or during pregnancy. Very underweight persons should avoid using this product as it will decrease weight.
Some potential triphala side effects include diarrhea or an increased amount of gastrointestinal gas. In some cases, a person may have difficulty sleeping after taking the medicine. The severity of these side effects depends on the dosage taken.
Triphala is reported to have a number of health benefits, such as an increased level of digestion and appetite, as well as being an effective detoxification substance. Research has shown that it does indeed have health benefits when it comes to detoxification. There is also some evidence that the substance may work as an anti-cancer chemical to some extent.